Shoes glorious shoes! Buying shoes for children can be compared to putting a kid in a candy store. There are so many adorable pairs, how can a person decide?
Shopping for shoes online is even more fun because you don’t have to haul an armload of boxes to the car. However, shopping for shoes online also poses some uncertainty. Will the shoes fit? Will they hold up?
Here are a few online shoe buying tips to make sure your online shoe shopping experience is a positive one.
Heed the Better Business Bureau’s Tips for Online Shopping
· Before you even start looking, make sure the site you’re at offers secure shopping transactions. You can tell by looking at the URL if it is HTTPS then the site is secure.
· If a site asks you to register, protect your password and make it unique from all your other online passwords to ensure sure your personal information isn’t stolen.
· Check the store’s privacy statement. Make sure your information isn’t sold or rented to outside parties.
· Know the shipping & returns policies before you make the purchase. See what the costs are and check if you have to pay for shipping on any returned items.
· Keep accurate records and receipts. If an item arrives damaged or you need to return it, it’s important to be able to quickly access your receipt.
Do Your Research
· Look for online reviews about the store. There are many review sites online which make it easy to find information. The Better Business Bureau is also a great place to find feedback.
· Become aware of the brands the store carries. Are they good brands or designers with a good reputation? Does it hold true to sizing charts or do items tend to run large or small?
Accurate and Descriptive Information
· The best online retailers provide very detailed descriptions about their products. They’ll provide information about the materials as well as information about the size.
· A picture is worth a thousand words. That’s not entirely true because a picture won’t tell you whether an item is leather or pleather however it will help you see color and style.
Know Your Child’s Shoe Size
The good news is that children’s shoes tend to run fairly consistent when it comes to sizing. So once you know your child’s shoe size you can be fairly certain they will translate to most brands.
· That being said, make sure you’re buying shoes in the right sizing standard. Shoes can be sized as U.S., U.K., European, Mexico, Japan and even U.K. Australia. They can be measured in inches, millimeters, and centimeters.
· If you know your child’s shoe size in U.S. sizes, but the shoes you’re looking at online are listed in European sizes you can often find conversion charts online.
· When in doubt, order a half to a whole size larger. Shoes that are a bit too big will allow your child to grow into them.
Online shoe shopping can be a tremendous time saver and a whole lot of fun, provided you take a few minutes to protect yourself. Make sure you know your child’s shoe sizes, and how they convert, and make sure you’re shopping with a responsible retailer.